Friday, August 26, 2011

Car Organization, Boring But Necessary

Today is the day I do my Weekly Blessing of my house, which is a quick cleanup of the house for the weekend. I do a quick pick up, handle papers, dust, vacuum, mop, clean fingerprints off the mirrors and doors. I also clean my bedside table, closet, makeup drawer and purse. The car gets detrashed and wiped up once a week.

After reading about Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick's Clutter Nemesis (her car) I've been thinking about my car and how I would like to organize it a little better.
This is how it looks when it's cleaned up and ready for the work weeks. I discovered that the only thing I needed to do was add a trash bag.

Dash storage:


I put my pen, marker and id badge in here. No worries then about leaving them at home.

Glove box:


I store my extra napkins and car information here. Garage door opener velcro'd to wall of compartment.


Between the seats storage, top part:


Current CD's.

Between the seats storage, bottom part:


Here I have a box of kleenex and sanitizing gel. If we are on a trip, I put a baggie with wet wipes in there, too.

Lastly, the drinks area.


When I am traveling, I usually have a drink, my telephone, and my shuffle. If I am driving alone to work, I listen to my podcasts on my shuffle. I have yet to find a way to listen to podcasts on my phone that is reliable.

I did not take a picture of the back seat. I (now) hang a grocery sack from the passenger seat and dump the trash in there. I also have an umbrella and my huge sun visor on the backseat floor.

Next car will have automatic transmission, easily accessible space for a couple of grandkids, and some way I can hook up my music from my phone or ipod. My beloved Scion tC is six years old, and I've been getting car fever. The last time I got car fever it took me three years to decide what to buy. So that's pretty close to the ten year mark I want to attain on this car. And plenty of time to save for that car.

Boring. But that's what works for me. I remember the days when I had three little ones in tow, and getting back and forth to/from the car was a major ordeal. Trust me, it was not organized in any way, shape or form. The kids still talk about the carton of milk that got lost up under the seat and the smell that wouldn't go away. Anyone that can keep their car clean and organized when they have little kids gets an enormous amount of respect from me.











No comments: