Saturday, January 22, 2011

Regaining the Power of Youth at Any Age--Chapter 3

Now for an assessment of energy--you are to measure six areas--energy/comfort level, flexibility, freedom from pain, strength/muscle stamina, aerobic endurance, emotional status and spiritual health. Cooper suggests you buy a journal and do a self-assessment of your perceived level of energy for each area once a week, target areas and make a plan to target that problem, and then use the journal for targeting continued problems.

A particularly interesting study done on a group of Japanese nurses targeted why nurses complained of fatigue. Those with weak arms and poor cardiovascular fitness complained the most of fatigue. Hmm. Arms. Okay. Since I suffer from moderate shoulder pain due to significant shoulder injuries, this got my attention. I know my arm strength and mobility has decreased dramatically, and now I have a motivation to work on that. I also know I need to work on my overall strength and my cardiovascular health, but that specific study made me sit up and think about how decreased upper body strength applies to my overall performance at work.

Cooper addresses five "energy sappers"--general bad stress, depression, inadequate sleep, a pessimistic attitude and dehydration, and then goes into detail on how to address each one of these problems.

No comments: