Monday, September 22, 2008

Bibs, a blanket, a quilt in the making, and magic stripes

No, I haven't added any more fabric inventory posts, hopefully I will do that tomorrow, but I do have some finished projects. I'll add the pics tomorrow when the battery on my camera is recharged.
SEWING:
I finished some baby items--a three darling bibs and a small blanket made from some remnant Minky.


The bibs were made from a pattern at Nested. The pattern was well-written, easy to follow and very, very cute! I found some fat squares on sale at my local Hobby Lobby in cute boy prints, and bought some double fold tape in coordinating colors. Each bib took about 20 minutes from start to finish.


The Minky blanket was made from a small remnant at my local Joann's. I found some adorable Winne-the-Pooh blanket binding at Joann's, too. I cut two squares from the remnant, and machine-stitched them together in a chevron pattern. The binding application was awkward, but it turned out pretty durn cute.
Next on the sewing table:
I am really trying to make a dent in the fabric stash, and toward that end I pulled out each sorted-by-color bag of fabric and pulled out yellow-golds, rusts, blues and some interim pieces. The only requirement was that they had to be at least 4.5 inches wide so that I could use Amy's (Amy Butler) Lotus Brick Path Quilt free pattern.
I bought some white terry cloth to make some burp cloths, and I will use the rest of the fat squares to embellish them.


I also bought some white felt to line the Michele Quigley (of "On Pins and Needles") baby shoes I plan to make (with more stash fabric).
And finally I purchased a small piece of forest green gingham to make into a shirt to go with the little EZ (Elizabeth Zimmerman) baby sweater I finished this week.
Which leads me to . . .
KNITTING



I finished the little EZ baby sweater. This is about the fourth time that I have knitted this pattern, and it is a quick and easy knit. (Well, okay, my menopausal and stressed brain has had a hard time with most everything the last few weeks, and I spent a LOT of time reworking it this time, but it is USUALLY an easy knit.) It blocked out a lot bigger than I expected, but babies grow. I am sure this sweater was "meant" to be knitted in this yarn, as I had about ten feet left when I finished.

Next on the knitting needles--

This will prob-a-bly be an EZ Baby Surprise jacket. I picked up a couple of skeins of "Magic Stripes" for $1.50 a skein from Big Lots a few months ago and it has the perfect boy colors--red,navy,denim, white and brown. I've been wanting to knit this yarn as well as the BSJ and I think they will make a good combination.

No comments: