Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Books, books, books

I'm currently reading "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy--see link in the sidebar--and I can't decide whether it is hopelessly hokey or absolutely brilliant. Or whether the hopeless applies to me as in "hopelessly skeptical regarding the topic of religion".

I bought myself (as a birthday present) a couple of out of print Alice Starmore books, "Scandinavian Knitwear" and "Sweaters for Men". I can see myself knitting some of the designs from "Men", but the "Scandinavian" book is so hopelessly outdated, I can only see these being knitted with much reworking of the pattern.

I've been reading some good books lately, and then again, some not-so-good books. But they all have something redeeming or charming about them. I have a pile of books that are going to go either to my mom or Half Price Books:

"You on a Diet" by Dr. Oz:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780743292542&itm=6

I will keep this book in my library. It is charming and witty, and a great motivational book, as well as just a darned good resource. And I am currently striving to meet the goals in this book. (Doing well in the exercise department, and probably meeting the nutrition goals by 80%--just gotta cut out the soda, ice cream, cookies and chips. The plan this week is to replace the soda with water, replace ice cream with frozen yogurt, replace the cookies with fruit, and the chips with veggies. I CAN DO IT!)

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780807014264&itm=1

Enjoyed this book immensely--the first part of the book relates Frankl's experiences in concentration camps, and then explains how he used his experiences to form the theory of logotherapy. It is a form of psychotherapy that states that our purpose in life is not to find pleasure, but to find meaning. Very deep, very stimulating and oh, so, thoughtful.

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781400078776&itm=1

Really, really creepy--you start suspecting at the beginning of the story what is actually going to be revealed, but when it finally becomes altogether and eerily apparent, I was still shocked and somewhat disgusted. The book itself is beautifully written, and I will definitely be reading more of Ishiguro's books. I hope to pick up "Remains of the Day" next.

"White Noise" by Don DeLillo:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780140077025&itm=1

The characters in this book were so completely irritating that I gave up on page 54.

"Inside My Heart" by Robin McGraw:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780785218364&itm=1

Kinda fluffy, kinda funny, and just real down to earth.

"The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780143036692&itm=1

I read "Secret Life of Bees" and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is definitely a recommended read, as well as "Bees".

No comments: